Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sense and Senselessibility

Twice Angel and I have walked out with a halter, practicing her leading manners. It can be an amusing game, as I creep forward, stop, take two steps, hustle forward, stop, turn left, veer right, and she is supposed to follow me on a loose lead, never getting ahead, nor falling behind. I have not gotten back on, because my side still hurts enough that I would be hampered up there.

Yesterday morning she was feeling racey, so I chased her sedately around the paddock, since she didn't want to be caught. If a horse doesn't stand still when you come up to her with a halter, then you move her around until she decides that standing still the first time was a good option. But when Angel is feeling giddy, then bouncing is always her favorite option. So she hops, rears, canters, does her moves, all in the mud, and finishes off by rearing and tipping over on her butt in the mud. She was not hurt, but somewhat chastened, and I was horrified. Is she going to do that with me on her?

No comments: