Tuesday, December 2, 2008

not quite a kick in the eye

This afternoon we tried going out on a lead and halter walk. Angel was to stay level with me, stop when I did, speed up when I did. On the road, she did pretty well. We made a good game of it, I would creep forward two steps, then stop, then walk fast, then walk slow, then trot, then stop, and she kept right next to me. It was very gratifying.
Then I thought I would try taking her in my yard, where she had been rearing like a jack in the box over the weekend, to see if her newly-rememberedgood behavior on the lead would be maintained in the apparently challenging environment of the yard. She started to graze then walk, faster and faster, and before many minutes had gone by, she was prancing, and then circling me at a fast trot on the ten-foot lead, and as she got bouncier, she whicked out a fast kick with her hind leg, which is all very nice when she is 15 feet away, but that foot went whizzing awfully close to my face, according to my eyes. So I hauled her in and took her out to the road and we walked up and down with somewhat less cooing than the first session. She went back to being good. We will have to try that cocaine-like yard again, with a plan. Some sort of plan.

No comments: